Babies, in theory, don’t require a lot of “stuff”, I feel. They need a place to sleep, food, some kind sort of place or article of clothing for pottying, and light entertainment. And, if you plan to co-sleep (which we are and have been doing) and breastfeed (I’d like to), then that doesn’t leave much of anything to buy besides diapers and a couple of colorful toys (if that). Yet, when you have a baby, you end up with a lot of stuff, either because people want to give you a particular item (registered for or not) or because you can’t resist the total cuteness or supposed functionality or ingeniousness of an item.
We have a TON of “leftovers” from E. People were really generous with us (in part, because I was a poor college student and DH was working his butt off at three part time jobs waiting for something to open full-time, and also in part because we have awesome, loving friends, family members, and co-workers). By the time it was all said and done we had three swings, two bouncy chairs, three pack ‘n’ plays, a crib, more toys than any small child, never mind an infant, could play with, and enough clothes (ranging from brand spanking new to “my kid stopped fitting into this yesterday”) that we didn’t have to buy E. anything until she was two and not repeat an outfit once. For realz.
So because of folks generosity and their foresight in purchasing, either for us or for themselves at some point, gender neutral items (except for the clothes and the small army of pink bunnies we have in our possession), I don’t think there are a lot of big ticket items we’ll be needing to buy for this little friend.
I say, not a lot, because there are a few items I feel we will *need*. Originally, the list was a lot longer, but I’ve since paired it down to my perceived essentials. And I’ve broken these essentials into a couple of categories: Absolute must haves or I will cry and I should really have these but the world will not come crashing down if it can’t happen…I will just have the sadz.
So, from category one:
* Breast Pump If I’m going to go back to work at some point and plan to breastfeed or provide breast milk then I need a pump. This is the one I’d like.
* A Moby Wrap This. I want this. I had a wrap that I’ve failed to find (if I come across it, I’ll nix this buy, but I really, really like the Moby wrap (and baby wearing in general – it was so perfect with E.).
* Car Seat Don’t have one, need one, will be getting one from a family friend. Yay!
And from category two:
* Arms Reach Co-Sleeper We co-slept with E. for just over a year and it was perfect for us (far less perfect when she, at three, decided she needed to be back in our bed, which we foolishly didn’t fight at first, and now this is the first week in well over a year where I am actually going to bed sans small heater curled up using my pillow). Anyway, long story short, I feel like a co-sleeper is sort of what we need. We have our space in bed, but the baby is right there. Perfect.
* Cloth Diapers I really, really want to cloth diaper. Like, hardcore. I think it’s economical, ecologically friendly, and just plain cute. However, the initial financial investment is pretty darn expensive (like $300…ick). If we can find a way to accumulate cloth diapers without driving ourselves into poverty at the same time, it’s totally on.